Xenon trouble

For enthusiasts in- or outside Sweden with a taste for Volvo 7/900 series.
Just register a forum nickname and start posting!
Mathy
Övningskörning

Xenon trouble

Inlägg av Mathy »

Hello guys

I recently replaced the wiring harness used to power both H4 Bi-Xenonlamps with two smaller "harnesses" that power each lamp individually. I did this because the right hand H4 often didn't want to start and because using the smaller harnesses would tell me if one of the lamps wouldn't turn on.

My H3's also have Xenon.

Now I have one H3 that flashes. Replacing the starter for that lamp creates all kinds of not-so-funny effects. Connecting the starter of the H4 to start the H3 and vice versa creates all kinds of other problems. I've tried every option I could thing of, none of them worked. I've had the H4 flash, lamps not start and even a relay switching that is either in the ABS unit or connected to the small coolant tank. Biggest problem is that whatever happens doesn't seem to be predictable. And I don't understand how the H3's can be influenced by wiring that's only connected to the H4's.

How can I reliably use my H4 B-Xenon and H3 Xenon, without the problems that keep appearing after a while? Usually after I fix one problem it will take some time before the next one will pop up. But eventually, a new one will pop up.

Sincerely

Mathy
945 GLE model year 1991 B234F

Mathy
Övningskörning

Re: Xenon trouble

Inlägg av Mathy »

Hello guys

I replaced the two smaller harnesses with a new harness that controles both H4's. Everything seem to work fine now. The new harness is exactly like the old one (the one I replaced for the two short harnesses).

Now all I have to do is find out why the engine cuts out when I flash the lights. It sometimes cuts out the first time I flash the lights, sometimes I can flash the lights a couple of times before the engine cuts out and sometimes it does not cut out at all. As soon as I release the handle, the engine just runs fine.

Sincerely

Mathy
945 GLE model year 1991 B234F

Skriv svar