Replacing viscofan with original e-fan?

For enthusiasts in- or outside Sweden with a taste for Volvo 7/900 series.
Just register a forum nickname and start posting!
Mathy
Övningskörning

Replacing viscofan with original e-fan?

Inlägg av Mathy »

Hello guys and girls

I've been thinking about replacing the viscofan of my 945 modelyear 1991 (B234F) with an original electric fan from a 700/900 with a 16 valve engine. Has this been done before? I want to use original parts as much as possible as I want it to look like the car came from the factory with an electronic fan.

How hard would this be?

Sincerely

Mathy
945 GLE model year 1991 B234F

thol
Klubbmedlem 2022
Kör: 740 se

Re: Replacing viscofan with original e-fan?

Inlägg av thol »

It shuld be easy. You need a radiator that has a hole for the temperature sensor or drill one in the raioator that´s in the car. The place is markt. The sensor and seal can be purchased at your lokal dealer.

I has a modified one from a volvo 850 in my 740 :)

einar-
Klubbmedlem 2022
Kör: 745 GLE -88a

Inlägg av einar- »

Here are my fan installation. Fan cover from a 740 turbo because its shorter and looks better
Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild
Vem fan behöver turbo när det finns träskor

Nils Ö
Uppkörning
Kör: 945 -96

Inlägg av Nils Ö »

You need a relay as well. Connecting the fan directly to the thermoswitch works in principle, but will cause the switch to fail rather soon.

(If your car has air conditioning, with both the visco-fan AND an electrical fan, then the wiring gets a little more complicated, but both fans can be replaced by the newer, larger single electrical fan. Some early 940:s and late 740:s had that arrangement with two fans.)

Mathy
Övningskörning

Inlägg av Mathy »

Hello guys

My 945 has an airconditioning that was built in after it was imported (for tax reasons). By Deltamil. So it already has a small electric fan in front of the radiator. I'm planning to leave it in for a while.

As I said above, I want to use original Volvo parts. And I want to use them just like Volvo installed them. That includes this relay (picture taken from this forum):

Bild

@einar: Looks very nice. But you are using these light grey pieces of plastic to attach the fan to the fan cover. I hope to transplant these parts from a vehicle that came from the factory with a 16 valve engine and an electric fan. But your idea would be a nice alternative if "transplanting" isn't possible. But my radiator is leaking at the top, so I'll have to transplant/replace that one too.

@thol: will a 850 radiator fit inside a 940?

Sincerely

Mathy

thol
Klubbmedlem 2022
Kör: 740 se

Inlägg av thol »

I took the fan and mounted it in the wisko fan cover, it do not look faktory mounted but it works.

JE Jr
Ledamot
Kör: 740GLE
Kontakt:

Inlägg av JE Jr »

If you want to make it 'factory' you will need to fit the wide radiator as well. Came on cars with AC/ECC 92-.

For them there is a fan-shroud that fits. If you want to keep the small radiator you need to do as shown here already.

Sjöbovolvo
Van forumsanvändare

Inlägg av Sjöbovolvo »

Mathy look at a electric diagram and look at the connector for the fuelbox you will find two empty connector slots for the fan controll,use these two connections and the fuelbox will controll the fanrelay as if factory installed fan
Regards Patrick.
Funkis Meca Raceway rescuecrew.
RONDELL RACING
http://www.lundellsmotorsport.nu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mathy
Övningskörning

Inlägg av Mathy »

Hello Patrick

The electric part is not the problem. My "problem" is finding the right fan and the right shroud.

But thanks anyway!

Sincerely

Mathy

Lehto
Klubbmedlem 2022
Kör: Volvo 940

Inlägg av Lehto »

Mathy skrev:Hello Patrick

The electric part is not the problem. My "problem" is finding the right fan and the right shroud.

But thanks anyway!

Sincerely

Mathy
Maybe some pics etc from my thread when I changed to electric fan can help you.
http://forum.7900klubben.se/viewtopic.p ... 25#p979845
But as a few others say, easiest is probably to get one of the wider coolers and then take the fan and fan shroud from a 940/960. Then everything should fit "bolt-on".
940 Turbo brukis: Bild

Mathy
Övningskörning

Inlägg av Mathy »

Hello guys

My Deltamil airconditioning stopped working just before the heatwave we had overhere. (Driving around on the highway with 100 - 120 km/h with the windows open with those temperatures is NOT nice) Since I wanted to have it replaced by an original Volvo ECC anyway and somebody already volunteered to do the job, I now have an ECC with an electric fan in my car. It wasn't cheap, but I'm very happy with the conversion.

Since my 945 has a B234F, I needed the LH-Jetronic with the parts number that ended with "928". Luckily I already had one of those.
And since the car is a model jahr 1991, I also needed a special relay (352 3737) or a bridge in the connector intended for that relay. I still have to replace the bridge with the relay.

Sincerely

Mathy

Skriv svar