I am new here, I do not speak swedish and I have a Volvo 740

For enthusiasts in- or outside Sweden with a taste for Volvo 7/900 series.
Just register a forum nickname and start posting!
Användarvisningsbild
KerstinK
Färsk användare

Re: I am new here, I do not speak swedish and I have a Volvo

Inlägg av KerstinK »

That was my first idea too, but my husband means, it risks the paint/varnish of the car and the water might still find its way through the tape .

Maybe better than the seats and the headline all soaked...
doesnt look like it would be dry very soon

Kerstin

Användarvisningsbild
SA4AQS
Van forumsanvändare
Kör: 744 -88a Flygmotor
Kontakt:

Inlägg av SA4AQS »

Maybe not use duct tape it gets destroyed by the sun's uv light and the adhensive gets hard to remove.
So maybe a pvc type of tape is the best and its moastly easy to remove the remains of adhensive with alcohol or acetone.

Användarvisningsbild
KerstinK
Färsk användare

Inlägg av KerstinK »

Hi
I Didnt find any pvc-Tape, so I have to search in our garage if we have some of it.

Tomorrow I will try to dry the roof, then tape it.

I started with my first parts of Volvo-Collection....
from 1986:
prospekte.jpg
prospekte.jpg (270.79 KiB) Visad 5375 gånger

And a repear manual Karosserie and eletric of the 740 from 88.
manual.jpg
manual.jpg (49.82 KiB) Visad 5375 gånger
elektrik.jpg
elektrik.jpg (39.03 KiB) Visad 5375 gånger
Thats only the beginning...

Kerstin

Användarvisningsbild
KerstinK
Färsk användare

Inlägg av KerstinK »

Hi again

I taped my sunroof meanwhile with PVC Tape, it is really dry inside now! And you can hardly see the tape, its the same color as the car :)

Before I taped it, I dried every part I was able to reach manually with cloths, I took some pictures as well, they are not too good becaus I didnt have the good camera along.

I found two rusty brackets where the shield from the front is held, but I cant imagine, they are a big problem at the moment. More interesting were all the screws in the front part, thinking about how to open them to reach the seal without taking the whole roof apart.

Bracket left
bracketl2.jpg
bracketl2.jpg (39.2 KiB) Visad 5361 gånger
Bracket right
bracketr1.jpg
bracketr1.jpg (21.3 KiB) Visad 5361 gånger
Unter this cover there must be the seal somewhere, its the only place I can imagine, which causes the problems, no holes, nothing to see, so I think the age of the seal is the reason.
cornerfrontleft.jpg
cornerfrontleft.jpg (35.93 KiB) Visad 5361 gånger
The drainage is free...ok I see I can only add three pic ;)

to be continued
Senast redigerad av 1 KerstinK, redigerad totalt 8 gånger.

Användarvisningsbild
KerstinK
Färsk användare

Inlägg av KerstinK »

the drainage
drainage.jpg
drainage.jpg (34.19 KiB) Visad 5361 gånger
and here the water comes through
motor.jpg
motor.jpg (26.03 KiB) Visad 5361 gånger
slightly dripping but as soon as I start driving, especially in turns it runs onto my lap or the other seat a few times until its empty. Its the electric there, I dont think the water impoves functionality :?:

I have bought another one of the books with the theme of incoming water....windows, the cars body and roof, so maybe there is a description how to continue.

Thanks for your patience reading me!

I tried to read through the forum with a translater but the results are rediculous...its nearly easier to understand in swedish ... :lol:

Kerstin

Xoffis
Svart bälte i SÖK!
Kör: V70T5
Kontakt:

Inlägg av Xoffis »

Sorry its swe, but it is ontopic, and I will translate when i get the answers i Think i need =)

Nu spånar jag bara, men skall inte stuprören ta ´hand om ganska mycket vatten innan det blir läckage? skall inte taket hållas torrt även om man helt tar bort tätningen ifall stuprören fungerar tillfredställande? kan det vara täpt längre ner så de bara fylls upp?
Nuvarande bil:
Volvo V70 T5 -97
Tidigare bilar:
Volvo 760 GLE -84 | Volvo 740 GLE -90
Volvo 760 GLE -88 | Volvo 740 GLT -90
Volvo 960 E -95 | Volvo 850 GLT -92
Volvo 850 GLT -92

Användarvisningsbild
SA4AQS
Van forumsanvändare
Kör: 744 -88a Flygmotor
Kontakt:

Inlägg av SA4AQS »

Xoffis skrev:Sorry its swe, but it is ontopic, and I will translate when i get the answers i Think i need =)

Nu spånar jag bara, men skall inte stuprören ta ´hand om ganska mycket vatten innan det blir läckage? skall inte taket hållas torrt även om man helt tar bort tätningen ifall stuprören fungerar tillfredställande? kan det vara täpt längre ner så de bara fylls upp?
Jo det tycker jag också och det är ju fyra dränerings rör så om bilen står parkerad i lutning så ska det inte spela så stor roll, det kan bli täppt i rören som sakta rinner ut sen. Och jag har inte demonterat så pass så jag vet inte hur det ser ut heller.

Användarvisningsbild
KerstinK
Färsk användare

Inlägg av KerstinK »

:oops: Sorry Translater!!!! I hope it makes any sense!! :oops:

The english part is for me :oops: :oops:
It is about the drainage? All 4 tubes are continuous. The car was straight / flat and I have poured a lot of water on the roof, it immediately ran from all four pipes on the ground.

Det handlar om dränering? Alla 4 rören är kontinuerlig. Bilen var rakt / platt och jag har hällt en hel del vatten på taket, genast körde det från alla fyra rör på marken.

Kerstin

Xoffis
Svart bälte i SÖK!
Kör: V70T5
Kontakt:

Inlägg av Xoffis »

You dont need to translate, my eng is ok (but not more) and my thinking is not Always right if I need to translate at the same time =)

the drainage should be able to take care of all the water even if there is no sealing at all round the hatch, what I have had been done is I have removed the inner sealing and then poured a lot of whater on the roof and looked where it ran over the side, its a lot of job, but it is what i had done...
Nuvarande bil:
Volvo V70 T5 -97
Tidigare bilar:
Volvo 760 GLE -84 | Volvo 740 GLE -90
Volvo 760 GLE -88 | Volvo 740 GLT -90
Volvo 960 E -95 | Volvo 850 GLT -92
Volvo 850 GLT -92

Användarvisningsbild
KerstinK
Färsk användare

Inlägg av KerstinK »

I think the sealing around the hatch is not a real seal, it is not tight, it is sort of a thick tissue which gets soaked with water.
And the inner sealing I havent found yet, covered with metal.

The first we did was to test the drainage because I found quite a lot of leafparts around the cars parts. But it didnt seem something is stuck in the pipes, the water came out immidiately at all four points on the floor, all about the same amount.

I found a book about incoming water, there are even 8 pages about the sunroof, but like always, the drawings and fotographs are not really easy to identify without a magnifying glass... the author expects an Volvo-Expert or Mechanic, but I am just at the beginning! Learning by doing, but what should I do? First I have to understand, then I can do.

We have a Mercedes about the same age like my Volvo, it has a sunroof too, but it is diffrent and up to now, still tight.

Thanks for accompagnying me in english, when I read the rubbish of the translator....its just weird! (tested my english written text translated into german.....I do not understand my own words!!!)

Good Night
Kerstin

Bear
Revisor
Kör: 960 US. 850 T5 US.

Inlägg av Bear »

Herzlich wilkommen nach unsere forum Kerstin!

Grüss!
Volvo - Let your Swede out

Skriv svar